What It Is?
Hosted by The Anglican Diocese of Calgary, the Study Day presents an historical context and sets the scene that has led to proposed changes to the Marriage Canon in Canada. Like much of the Anglican Church of Canada, our Diocese has been divided on whether the Marriage Canon should be changed to allow same-sex marriage.
Led by the Rev. Dr. Jesse Zink, Principal, Montreal Theological College, these unbiased presentations recognize that most Anglicans fall between polarized positions and that diversity of opinion is one of the strengths of Anglicanism.
The Study Day does not promote any views or opinions on the proposed changes to the Marriage Canon.
Participants Will Learn:
• how the Anglican Communion has historically settled arguments and disagreements
• about various bodies and groups that bind us together as Anglicans in the worldwide Anglican Communion and what authority they have
• the historical context of the marriage canon and what changes have been made to the Canon in the past.
Participants will come away with a list of questions and a reading list which may be helpful for personal reflection or group dialogue within the home parish.
• Understanding that the Anglican Communion and the Anglican Church of Canada have survived divisions and changes in the past.
• Reduce the residual fear and uncertainty around the upcoming General Synod vote (July 2019) and its impact on the Anglican Church of Canada and the Diocese of Calgary.
• Foster a belief that following the vote on the Marriage Canon the Anglican Church of Canada – and the Diocese of Calgary – will emerge intact and prepared to carry out our mission as Christ’s body here on earth.
Who should attend?
• Anglicans who are puzzled, wearied or disoriented by our present controversies.
• Clergy, lay leaders and staff who are called to speak at the parish level about the Marriage Canon and the upcoming Synod vote.
• Anglicans who may or may not have an opinion about the proposed changes to the Marriage Canon but want a deeper understanding so that they can engage in meaningful and respectful listening and dialogue with others.
***Please send your mailing address and the location where you’ll be attending.
Or phone: Carol Tubman at 403-243-3673 ext.103
Date: Saturday, February 23, 2019
Time: 9:30 am to 2:30 pm
*** Please bring a bag lunch
Holy Nativity Anglican Church
12707 Bonaventure Drive S.E.
St. Luke Anglican Church
4929 54th Street
St. Theodore Anglican Church
5120 44 St.
Cost: Suggested donation of $10.00 – $15.00 to defray costs
For more information, contact: Elizabeth McLennan, Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev. Pilar GatemanExecutive Officer, Diocese of Calgary, email@example.com